[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.6.1 release candidate 3

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke at uci.edu
Mon Jul 11 17:12:45 EDT 2011

On 7/11/2011 12:28 PM, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am pleased to announce the availability of the third release candidate
> of NumPy 1.6.1. This is a bugfix release, list of fixed bugs:
> #1834   einsum fails for specific shapes
> #1837   einsum throws nan or freezes python for specific array shapes
> #1838   object <-> structured type arrays regression
> #1851   regression for SWIG based code in 1.6.0
> #1863   Buggy results when operating on array copied with astype()
> #1870   Fix corner case of object array assignment
> #1843   Py3k: fix error with recarray
> #1885   nditer: Error in detecting double reduction loop
> #1874   f2py: fix --include_paths bug
> #1749   Fix ctypes.load_library()
> #1895/1896  iter: writeonly operands weren't always being buffered correctly
>
> This third RC has only a single change compared to RC2 (for #1895/1896),
> which fixes a serious regression in the iterator. If no new problems are
> reported, the final release will be in one week. Sources and binaries
> can be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.6.1rc2/
>
> Enjoy,
> Ralf

Hi Ralph.

I tested rc3. It looks good, except that on win-amd64 whenever numpy is
imported, a 'Forcing DISTUTILS_USE_SDK=1' is printed from line 377 in
misc_util.py. Hence some tests of other packages fail.

This is due to a recent change:
<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/commit/025c8c77bb1e633ea6e8a0cb929528b1fbe85efc>

Now every time numpy is imported, numpy.distutils is also imported. Is
this necessary or can the import of distutils be deferred?

Christoph