[Numpy-discussion] Problems with numpy binary for Python2.7 + OS X 10.6

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Mon Jul 25 17:21:25 EDT 2011

In article <4E2DCB72.3070608 at hkl.hms.harvard.edu>,
 Ian Stokes-Rees <ijstokes at hkl.hms.harvard.edu> wrote:

> As best I can tell, I have Python 2.7.2 for my system Python:
>
> [ijstokes at moose ~]$ python -V
> Python 2.7.2
>
> [ijstokes at moose ~]$ which python
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python
>
> however when I attempt to install the recent numpy binary
> python-2.7.2-macosx10.6.dmg I get stopped at the first stage of the
> install procedure with the error:
>
> numpy 1.6.1 can't be installed on this disk.  numpy requires System
> Python 2.7 to install.
>
> Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  Is it looking for
> /usr/bin/python2.7?  For that, I only have up to 2.6 available. (and 2.5)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

I believe the error message is misleading (a known bug). From the path
you are probably running python.org python (though it could be
ActiveState or built from source).

Assuming it really is python.org, the next question is: which of the two
flavors of python.org Python do you have: the "10.3" version (which is
32-bit only, but very backward compatible), or the "10.6" version (which
includes 64-bit support but requires MacOS X 10.6 or later)?

There is a separate numpy installer for each (and unfortunately they are
not listed near each other in the file list). Maybe you got that match
wrong?

If in doubt you could reinstall python from python.org.

-- Russell