[Numpy-discussion] dtype repr change?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 19:21:46 EDT 2011

Hi,

2011/7/28 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The thread was first about how to deal with the change, and second
>
> I'm still curious to know of a technical solution with doctests.
> Ideally, one would like to specify a set of rules that a line must
> pass to know whether it matched.  The current system of excluding
> certain checks with "+SKIP" flags etc. seems fragile.

Well - you can use the +ELLIPSIS flag, but of course you have ugly and
confusing ... in the docstring for the variable bits.

> Maybe a person can already do that, I'm not sure?  But it would be
> handy to simply have an extra rule added that said: "In any line-set
> starting with 'array', ignore everything after dtype=" for example.
> Then each package would be able to keep a customised set of rules.
>
> Do you know if doctests supports any sort of manual intervention, like
> a plugin system?

Actually, I was going to ask you that question :)

But yes, there's the NumpyDoctest nose plugin, for example.  Using it
does mean you have to customize nose somehow - in numpy's case by
using the 'numpy.test()' machinery.  Sympy I believe has a fair amount
of machinery to work with doctests, but I haven't looked at that yet,

See you,

Matthew