[Numpy-discussion] Quaternion dtype for NumPy - initial implementation available

Friedrich Romstedt friedrichromstedt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 05:03:28 EDT 2011

2011/7/29 Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu>:
> I am starting to get very interested in this quaternion concept (and maybe
> how I could use it for mplot3d), but I have never come across it before
> (beyond the typical vector math that I am familiar with).  Can anybody
> recommend a good introductory resource to get me up to speed?

The time I learned it I used the Wikipedia article, apparently it
wasn't that bad that time I used it (haven't checked now).  But it
needs some hand-crafting to get into it.  In principle, if you
decompose the operation of Quaternions manually (which involves a bit
of algebra, but doable), then you'll see how beautifully it decomposes
the vector given in to create a local rotation plane, where it is
rotated just as in ordinary polar coordinates.

Friedrich