[Numpy-discussion] [ANN] IPython 0.11 is officially out

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:19:51 EDT 2011

Hi all,

on behalf of the IPython development team, I'm thrilled to announce,
after more than two years of development work, the official release of
IPython 0.11.

This release brings a long list of improvements and new features
(along with hopefully few new bugs).  We have completely refactored
IPython, making it a much more friendly project to participate in by
having better separated and organized internals.  We hope you will not
only use the new tools and libraries, but also join us with new ideas
and development.

After this very long development effort, we hope to make a few
stabilization releases at a quicker pace, where we iron out the kinks
in the new APIs and complete some remaining internal cleanup work.  We
will then make a (long awaited) IPython 1.0 release with these stable
APIs.

*Downloads*
Download links and instructions are at: http://ipython.org/download.html
And IPython is also on PyPI: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipython

Those contain a built version of the HTML docs; if you want pure
source downloads with no docs, those are available on github:

Tarball: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tarball/rel-0.11
Zipball: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/zipball/rel-0.11

* Features *
Here is a quick listing of the major new features:

- Standalone Qt console
- High-level parallel computing with ZeroMQ
- New model for GUI/plotting support in the terminal
- A two-process architecture
- Fully refactored internal project structure
- Vim integration
- Integration into Microsoft Visual Studio
- Improved unicode support
- Python 3 support
- New profile model
- SQLite storage for history
- New configuration system
- Pasting of code with prompts

And many more...

We closed over 500 tickets, merged over 200 pull requests, and more
than 60 people contributed over 2200 commits for the final release.
Please see our release notes for the full details on everything about
this release: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/zipball/rel-0.11

As usual, if you find any problem, please file a ticket --or even
better, a pull request fixing it-- on our github issues site
(https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/).

Many thanks to all who contributed!

Fernando, on behalf of the IPython development team.

http://ipython.org