[Numpy-discussion] fixing up datetime

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 2 14:24:43 EDT 2011

Benjamin Root wrote:
> Just throwing it out there.  Back in my Perl days (I do not often admit
> this), the one module that I thought was really well done was the
> datetime module.  Now, I am not saying that we would need to support the
> calendar from Lord of the Rings or anything like that, but its floating
> timezone concept and other features were quite useful.  Maybe there are
> lessons to be learned from there?

Another one to look at is the classes in the Earth System Modeling
Framework (ESMF). That will give you a good idea what the
atmospheric/oceanographic/climate modelers need, and how at least one
well-respected group has addresses these issues.

http://www.earthsystemmodeling.org/esmf_releases/non_public/ESMF_5_1_0/ESMC_crefdoc/node6.html

(If that long URL breaks, I found that by googling: "ESMF calendar date
time")

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov