[Numpy-discussion] _sort module.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 14:34:37 EDT 2011

Hi All,

Numpy has a _sort module which contains *no* methods and whose only purpose
is to modify the type descriptors by adding pointers to the sorting
functions when it is loaded. Consequently _sort is imported early in
numpy/core/__init__.py and is otherwise unused. This really doesn't seem
right. I would like to make the sorting functions into a library or at least
link them directly as part of the build process. I'd also like to move them
into their own directory and break them up into several files in the process
of adding more functions for order statistics.

Thoughts?

Chuck