[Numpy-discussion] code review for datetime arange

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 10 01:56:01 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:54 AM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It looks like there are some '|O4' dtypes in 'lib/tests/test_format.py',
>>> testing the .npy file format. I'm not sure why I'm not getting this warning
>>> though.

>>>  I think documenting it in a 'datetime' section of the arange
>>> documentation would be reasonable. The main datetime documentation page
>>> would also mention the functions that are most useful.
>>>
>>> Besides docs, I am not sure about your choice to modify functions like
>>>>

>>> The facts that datetime and timedelta are related in a particular way
>>> different from other data types, and that they are parameterized types, both
>>> contribute to them not fitting naturally the current structure of NumPy. I'm
>>> not sure I understand the module idea,
>>>

>> Basically, use np.datetime.arange which understand the dtype, then calls
>> np.arange under the hood. Or is just its own function, like the dtrange()
>> Robert just suggested. It's pretty much the same as for the ma module, which
>> reimplements or wraps many numpy functions that do not understand masked
>> arrays.
>>

> I'm not a big fan of the way the ma module works, it doesn't integrate
> naturally and orthogonally with all the other features of NumPy. It's also
> an array subtype, quite different from a dtype. We don't have
> np.bool.arange, np.int8.arange, etc, and the abstraction used by arange
> built into the custom data type mechanism is too weak too support the needs
> of datetime.

I'd like to use the requirements of datetime as a guide to molding the
> future design of the data type system, and if we make datetime a
> second-class citizen because it doesn't behave like a float, we're not going
> to be able to discover the possibilities.

I would rather think that since it's a built-in NumPy data type, it should
>>> work with the regular NumPy functions wherever that makes sense.
>>>

>> That doesn't make sense to me. Being a dtype that happens to be shipped
>> with numpy doesn't make it more special than other dtypes.
>>

> This isn't making it more special, it's just conforming the natural NumPy
> way to how datetime/timedelta operates.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, and once you make a function work for
datetime it would also work for other new dtypes. But my impression is that
that's not the case. Let's say I make a new dtype with distance instead of
time attached. Would I be able to use it with arange, or would I have to go
in and change the arange implementation again to support it?

Ralf