[Numpy-discussion] get a dtypes' range?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 17 14:27:07 EDT 2011

Fabrice Silva wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there is a way to get the range of values a given dtype
>> can hold?

> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/routines.dtype.html#data-type-information

yup, that does it, I hadn't found that, as I was expecting a more OO
way, i.e. as a method of the dtype.

Also, I need to know in advance if it's a int or a float, but I suppose
you can't really do much without knowing that anyway.

Actually, I'm a bit confused about dtypes from an OO design perspective
anyway. I note that the dtypes seem to have all (most?) of the methods
of ndarrays (or placeholders, anyway), which I don't quite get.

oh well, I've found what I need, thanks.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov