Mark Wiebe mwwiebe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:53:31 EDT 2011

Enthought has asked me to look into the "missing data" problem and how NumPy
could treat it better. I've considered the different ideas of adding dtype
variants with a special signal value and masked arrays, and concluded that
adding masks to the core ndarray appears is the best way to deal with the
problem in general.

I've written a NEP that proposes a particular design, viewable here:

https://github.com/m-paradox/numpy/blob/cmaskedarray/doc/neps/c-masked-array.rst

There are some questions at the bottom of the NEP which definitely need
discussion to find the best design choices. Please read, and let me know of
all the errors and gaps you find in the document.

Thanks,
Mark