Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 24 12:25:53 EDT 2011

Robert Kern wrote:

> It's worth noting that this is not a replacement for masked arrays,
> nor is it intended to be the be-all, end-all solution to missing data
> problems. It's mostly just intended to be a focused tool to fill in
> the gaps where masked arrays are less convenient for whatever reason;

I think we have enough problems with ndarray vs numpy.ma -- this is
introducing a third option? IMHO, and from the discussion, it seems this
proposal should be a "uniter, not a divider".

While masked arrays may still exist, it would be nice if they were an
extension of the new built-in thingie, not yet another implementation.

>  Not every dtype
> would have an NA-aware counterpart.

One of the great things about numpy is the full range of data types. I
think it would be surprising and frustrating not to have masked versions
of them all.

By the way, what might be the performance hit of a "new" dtype --
wouldn't we lose all sort of opportunities for the compiler and hardware
to optimize? I can only image an "if" statement with every single
computation. But maybe that isn't any more of a hit that a separate mask.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov