[Numpy-discussion] missing data discussion round 2

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:59:34 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:24 PM, eat <e.antero.tammi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM, eat <e.antero.tammi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> A very impressive PEP indeed.
>
> Hi,
>>>
>>> However, how would corner cases, like

>> This should be equivalent to removing all the NA values, then calling
>> mean, like this:
>>
>> /home/mwiebe/virtualenvs/dev/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/core/fromnumeric.py:2374:
>> RuntimeWarning: invalid value encountered in double_scalars
>>   return mean(axis, dtype, out)
>> nan

>> This would return NA, since NA values are sitting in positions that would
>> affect the output result.
>
> OK.
>>

>>> be handled?
>>> My concern here is that there always seems to be such corner cases which
>>> can only be handled with specific context knowledge. Thus producing 100%
>>> generic code to handle 'missing data' is not doable.
>>
>> Working out the corner cases for the functions that are already in numpy
>> seems tractable to me, how to or whether to support missing data is
>> something the author of each new function will have to consider when missing
>> data support is in NumPy, but I don't think we can do more than provide the
>> mechanisms for people to use.
>
> Sure. I'll ride up with this and wait when I'll have some tangible to
> outperform the 'traditional' NaN handling.
> - eat

Just a question how things would work with the new model.
How can you implement the "use" keyword from R's cov (or cor), with
minimal data copying

I think the basic masked array version would (or does) just assign 0
to the missing values calculate the covariance or correlation and then
correct with the correct count.

------------
cov(x, y = NULL, use = "everything",
    method = c("pearson", "kendall", "spearman"))

cor(x, y = NULL, use = "everything",
     method = c("pearson", "kendall", "spearman"))

cov2cor(V)

Arguments
x   a numeric vector, matrix or data frame.
  y  NULL (default) or a vector, matrix or data frame with compatible
dimensions to x. The default is equivalent to y = x (but more
efficient).
  na.rm   logical. Should missing values be removed?

  use   an optional character string giving a method for computing
covariances in the presence of missing values. This must be (an
abbreviation of) one of the strings "everything", "all.obs",
"complete.obs", "na.or.complete", or "pairwise.complete.obs".

especially I'm interested in the complete.obs (drop any rows that
contains a NA) case

Josef