[Numpy-discussion] missing data discussion round 2

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 12:38:32 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >> You won't get complaints, you'll just lose a group of users, who will,
> >> I suspect, stick to NaNs, unsatisfactory as they are.
> >
> > This blade cuts both ways, we'd lose a group of users if we don't support
> > masking semantics, too.
>
> The problem is, that's inevitable. One might think that trying to find
> a compromise solution that picks a few key aspects of each approach
> would be a good way to make everyone happy, but in my experience, it
> mostly leads to systems that are a muddled mess and that make everyone
> unhappy. You're much better off saying screw it, these goals are in
> scope and those ones aren't, and we're going to build something
> consistent and powerful instead of focusing on how long the feature
> list is. That's also the problem with focusing too much on a list of
> use cases: you might capture everything on any single list, but there
> are actually an infinite variety of use cases that will arise in the
> future. If you can generalize beyond the use cases to find some simple
> and consistent mental model, and implement that, then that'll work for
> all those future use cases too. But sometimes that requires deciding
> what *not* to implement.
>
> Just my opinion, but it's fairly hard won.
>
> Anyway, it's pretty clear that in this particular case, there are two
> distinct features that different people want: the missing data
> feature, and the masked array feature. The more I think about it, the
> less I see how they can be combined into one dessert topping + floor
> wax solution. Here are three particular points where they seem to
> contradict each other:
>
> Missing data: We think memory usage is critical. The ideal solution
> has zero overhead. If we can't get that, then at the very least we
> want the overhead to be 1 bit/item instead of 1 byte/item.
> Masked arrays: We say, it's critical to have good ways to manipulate
> the masking array, share it between multiple arrays, and so forth. And
> numpy already has great support for all those things! So obviously the
> masking array should be exposed as a standard ndarray.
>
> Missing data: Once you've assigned NA to a value, you should *not* be
> able to get at what was stored there before.
> Masked arrays: You must be able to unmask a value and recover what was
> stored there before.
>
> (You might think, what difference does it make if you *can* unmask an
> item? Us missing data folks could just ignore this feature. But:
> whatever we end up implementing is something that I will have to
> explain over and over to different people, most of them not
> particularly sophisticated programmers. And there's just no sensible
> way to explain this idea that if you store some particular value, then
> [...]
Nathaniel, an implementation using masks will look *exactly* like an
implementation using na-dtypes from the user's point of view. Except that
taking a masked view of an unmasked array allows ignoring values without
destroying or copying the original data. The only downside I can see to an
implementation using masks is memory and disk storage, and perhaps memory
mapped arrays. And I rather expect the former to solve itself in a few
years, eight gigs is becoming a baseline for workstations and in a couple of
years I expect that to be up around 16-32, and a few years after that.... In
any case we are talking 12% - 25% overhead, and in practice I expect it
won't be quite as big a problem as folks project.

Chuck