[Numpy-discussion] SVD does not converge

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 12:43:19 EDT 2011

________________________________
From: santhu kumar <mesanthu at gmail.com>
To: numpy-discussion at scipy.org
Sent: Tue, June 28, 2011 11:56:48 AM
Subject: [Numpy-discussion] SVD does not converge

Hello,

I have a 380X5 matrix and when I am calculating pseudo-inverse of the matrix
using pinv(numpy.linalg) I get the following error message:

raise LinAlgError, 'SVD did not converge'
numpy.linalg.linalg.LinAlgError: SVD did not converge

I have looked in the list that it is a recurring issue but I was unable to find
any solution. Can somebody please guide me on how to fix that issue?

Thanks
Santhosh

I had a similar problem (although I wasn't looking for the pseudo inverse).  I
found that "squaring" the matrix fixed the problem.  But I'm guessing in your
situation that would mean a 380 x 380 matrix (I hope I'm thinking about your
case correctly).  But it's worth trying since it's easy to do.
 -- Lou Pecora, my views are my own.