[Numpy-discussion] missing data discussion round 2

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Jun 29 16:41:24 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Lluís <xscript at gmx.net> wrote:
> I completely agree. What I'd suggest is a global and/or per-object
> "ndarray.flags.skipna" for people like me that just want to ignore these
> entries without caring about setting it on each operaion (or the other
> way around, depends on the default behaviour).

I agree with with Matthew that this approach would end up having
horrible side-effects, but I can see why you'd want some way to
accomplish this...

I suggested another approach to handling both NA-style and mask-style
missing data by making them totally separate features. It's buried at
the bottom of this over-long message (you can search for "my
proposal"):
  http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2011-June/057251.html

I know that the part 1 of that proposal would satisfy my needs, but I
don't know as much about your use case, so I'm curious. Would that
proposal (in particular, part 2, the classic masked-array part) work
for you?

-- Nathaniel