[Numpy-discussion] How to get the prices of Moving Averages Crosses?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 1 14:17:02 EST 2011

On 3/1/11 10:55 AM, Andre Lopes wrote:
> I'm not okay with linear interpolation.

Well, odds are that the crossing point won't be exactly at a data point,
so you need to do SOME kind of interpolation.

You could use a higher order interpolation (cubic spline, etc): see the
interpolation routines in scipy.

However, for this use, perhaps rather than the crossing point, you could
use the next time after the crossing point as your metric.

What's appropriate depends entirely on your purpose.

Do note that that key here is that you need to find a point where the
difference changes sign -- it's not likely to be zero at any point.

One more thought -- you're looking at a moving average anyway -- with
that smoothing already in place linear interpolation is probably fine,
after all the exact crossing point is going to be a function of your
smoothing parameters.

You'll also want to think about what it means when the prices cross,
then cross right back at the next time step, or even match, then the one
that was higher goes back up...

-Chris