[Numpy-discussion] problems w/ fortran compiler when compiling 1.5.1 on RHEL5

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 7 02:56:01 EST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 7:18 AM, John Cartwright
<john.c.cartwright at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to compile 1.5.1 on a RHEL5 system and I'm specifying:
>
>  python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 build
>
> when doing the build. I see the message "Found executable /usr/bin/gfortran" - so far so good.  However when I go to install using:
>
> python setup.py install
>
> I see the warnings "gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found".  How can I avoid this? install doesn't recognize the fcompiler option.

Are you actually getting an error or just a warning? Are you trying to
install numpy or scipy (Fortran is not needed for scipy)? If no error,
what do you get when running ">>> numpy.test()"  ?

> It appears that both f77 and gfortran are installed although the gfortran appears to have been used to compile liblapack.so (libgfortran.so.1 is listed as a dependency).

You can move g77 off your PATH, then there's no chance of mixing up compilers.

Ralf