[Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.6 schedule

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 7 12:08:24 EST 2011

On 3/6/11 5:54 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> I suppose this might cause a problem with lazy/quick c extensions that
> expected elements in a certain order, so some breakage could occur.

absolutely!

(I've gotten a bit confused about this thread, but if this is about the
question of whether structured dtypes are dtypes are assumed to always
keep order, read on -- otherwise, ignore)..

I have always assumed a structured dtype was much like a C struct: i.e.
arrangement in memory is fixed, and the named fields are just for
convenience.

I was very surprised to learn that they could ever be used in more a a
dict-like manner.

Also, I noted a recent post to this list suggesting that folks sometime
miss-use stuctured arrays (particularly folks coming from MATLAB, etc),
by using them when what they really want is a dict. In that post, the
poster suggested that the primary use of structured arrays was for
interacting with data files and C code that has arrays of structures,
and indeed, that is how I have primarily used them.

So I think for performance and consistency with C code, keeping dtype
order is the best way to go. If that breaks backward compatibility too
much, then it shouldn't be changed, but I think it better reflects what
dtypes are all about.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov