[Numpy-discussion] ragged array implimentation

Francesc Alted faltet at pytables.org
Thu Mar 10 12:51:50 EST 2011

A Thursday 10 March 2011 18:05:11 Christopher Barker escrigué:
> NOTE: this looks like it could use a "growable" numpy array, much
> like one I've written before -- maybe it's time to revive that
> project and use it here, fixing some performance issues while I'm at
> it.

A growable array would be indeed very useful in many situations.  My
carray project [1] is another attempt to create such an object.  It
grows (or shrink) arrays by adding (removing) chunks, so they are fast
beasts for performing these operations.  I suppose this is more or less
like your approach.

I also thought about implementing ragged arrays in carray, like those
you are suggesting, but not sure when they will be ready for public
consumption.

Perhaps it is a good time to join efforts and create a nice 'growable'
array package?

[1] https://github.com/FrancescAlted/carray

--
Francesc Alted