[Numpy-discussion] Not importing polynomial implementation functions by default

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 06:49:02 EDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:57 PM, David Warde-Farley <
wardefar at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> On 2011-03-12, at 9:32 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
>
> > I'd like to change the polynomial package to only import the Classes,
> leaving the large number of implementation functions to be imported directly
> from the different modules if needed. I always regarded those functions as
> implementation helpers and kept them separate from the class so that others
> could use them to build their own classes if they desired. For most purposes
> I think the classes are more useful. So I think it was a mistake to import
> the functions by; default and I'm looking for a graceful and acceptable way
> out. Any suggestions.
>

> I hope this wouldn't include polyfit, polyval, roots and vander at least
> (I'd also be -1 on removing poly{add,sub,mul,div,der,int}, but more weakly
> so). Those 4 seem useful and "basic" enough to leave in the default
> namespace.

I use *vander a lot myself, so I agree with you there. The rest can all be
reached within the Polynomial class. Maybe I should add the *vander stuff to
the classes also. But I guess I'm looking for feedback from people who might
be using these functions.

Chuck