[Numpy-discussion] Fortran was dead ... [was Re: rewriting NumPy code in C or C++ or similar]

Matthieu Brucher matthieu.brucher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:10:13 EDT 2011

Hi,

Intel Fortran is an excellent Fortran compiler. Why is Fortran still better
than C and C++?
- some rules are different, like arrays passed to functions are ALWAYS
supposed to be independent in Fortran, whereas in C, you have to add a
restrict keyword
- due to the last fact, Fortran is a language where its compiler could do
more work (vectorization, autoparallelization...)
- Fortran 95 has an excellent array support, which is not currently
available in C/C++ (perhaps with ArBB?)

Nevertheless, when you know C++ correctly, when you want to do something
really efficient, you don't use Fortran. You can be as efficient as in C++,
and you can do fancy stuff (I/O, network...). Class and templates are also
better supported in C++.

Matthieu

Information System Engineer, Ph.D.
Blog: http://matt.eifelle.com