[Numpy-discussion] Fortran was dead ... [was Re: rewriting NumPy code in C or C++ or similar]

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 15 12:10:12 EDT 2011

On 3/15/11 8:33 AM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> There really isn't a satisfactory array library for C++. The fact that
> every couple of years there is another project to produce one testifies
> to that fact.

And I think not just the fact that there is not one, but that perhaps
C++ the language, or maybe the culture, simply doesn't support that way
of thinking.

I've been slowly arriving to the conclusion that that is no place for
C++ in programming. If you really need to twiddle bits, use C. If you
need high performance numerics, use Fortran. If you need high level
complex data structures, use Python.

And the fact that using all these in the same program is pretty easy
makes it all possible.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov