[Numpy-discussion] ImportError: libatlas.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Jose Borreguero borreguero at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 14:15:20 EDT 2011

Unfortunately it didn't work. I did:
> export LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/atlas/lib
> python setup.py build
> python setup.py install

Then in another terminal
> export LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/atlas/lib
> python
>>> import numpy
>>>from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
>>> ImportError: libatlas.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

However, I used a different environment variable:
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/atlas/lib
> python
>>> import numpy
>>>from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
>>>ImportError: libifport.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

I located libifport.so.5 and added the directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
>export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/atlas/lib:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/069/lib/ia32
> python
>>> import numpy
>>>from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
>>>from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
ImportError:
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
undefined symbol: _gfortran_concat_string

I googled this error, I found some comments on mixing fortran compilers.

I haven't advance much because go from error to error. Maybe I'm mixing
things up by adding directories to LD_LIBRARY_PATH :(

Jose