[Numpy-discussion] What Requires C and what is just python

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 11:49:47 EDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:44 AM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Ben Smith <ben at wbpsystems.com> wrote:
>>
>> So, in addition to my computer science work, I'm a PhD student in econ. Right now, the class is using GAUSS for almost everything. This sort of pisses me off because it means people are building libraries of code that become valueless when they graduate (because right now we get GAUSS licenses for free, but it is absurdly expensive later) -- particularly when this is the only language they know.
>>
>> So, I had this idea of building some command line tools to do the same things using the most basic pieces of NumPy (arrays, dot products, transpose and inverse -- that's it). And it is going great. My problem however is that I'd like to be able to share these tools but I know I'm opening up a big can of worms where I have to go around building numpy on 75 peoples computers. What I'd like to do is limit myself to just the functions that are implemented in python, package it with py2exe and hand that to anyone that needs it. So, my question, if anyone knows, what's implemented in python and what depends on the c libraries? Is this even possible?
>
> I think you can package also numpy with py2exe.

I should have explained this first:
all basic numpy array calculations are in C, extra packages in scipy
are often in fortran.
numpy.linalg uses C, but scipy.linalg uses the fortran libraries that
are the same (LAPACK,..) or similar versions as in GAUSS. numpy.random
is in C, scipy.special for distribution functions is in C and fortran.

Josef