[Numpy-discussion] What Requires C and what is just python

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Mon Mar 21 12:03:37 EDT 2011

On 3/20/11 11:54 AM, Lou Pecora wrote:
> I'll add my $0.02 here.  Someone mentioned SAGE.  I can say that on the Mac the
> sage package seems to install very easily and reliably.   I've done 4
> installations on Macs 10.4 to 10.6.  You can do them with one command line.
>   They take a few hours, but all have gone flawlessly.  The installation contains
> a LOT of python stuff (including all the packages mentioned here) and you use it
> just like any other installation except you need to point to the sage folder.
>   There are examples in the documentation.
>   -- Lou Pecora,   my views are my own.

On a mac, you can also download the drag-and-drop Mac App.  If you
download the *-app.dmg, you can just drag and drop the app to your
applications folder.  Launch Sage by double-clicking on the app (it
pulls up your webbrowser with the notebook frontend).  You can also
launch terminal sessions with Sage, use Sage from the command line, etc.

Or you can compile from source, which is I believe what the above
instructions are about.

Jason