[Numpy-discussion] What Requires C and what is just python

Hans-Martin v. Gaudecker hmgaudecker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:23:50 EDT 2011

That's precisely the reason we just switched our PhD computational econometrics course from GAUSS to NumPy/SciPy/statsmodels/matplotlib :-) Although some of my colleagues are not completely convinced yet...

Well, the only closely related thing there are the 'installation instructions', other than that it's really an adaption of http://software-carpentry.org/ for economists.

I don't think that will be an issue -- most of my students (in either the course Josef linked to above or the econometrics one) had not used anything else than Stata or Matlab before, let alone installed something on their own. Nobody reported any problems when following the above-mentioned guide. The installers work great now, only thing missing currently is a matplotlib installer on 64-bit MacOS.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin