[Numpy-discussion] Make array uncopyable

Daniel Lepage dplepage at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 16:24:16 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 03/23/2011 08:05 PM, Daniel Lepage wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>     Is there a way to mark an array as uncopyable? If you have very
>> large data arrays some numpy functions will cause MemoryErrors because
>> behind the scenes they e.g. transpose the arrays into Fortran order to
>> feed them into Fortran libraries (numpy.linalg.svd is an example of
>> this). It would be great if there were a way to mark an array as "too
>> big to copy" so that an attempt to call transpose() or astype() would
>> raise an exception immediately instead of clobbering the machine's
>> memory first, but I don't know of any flag that does this.
>>
>> I suppose I could always subclass ndarray and redefine transpose(),
>> astype(), etc., but it'd be nice if there were an easier way.
>
> This is a bit OT, but if your problem is simply wanting to fail hard
> when using too much memory instead of swapping to disk, then on Unix
> systems you can use "ulimit -v" to limit how much memory your
> application can use. When I do this the MemoryError is quick and painless.

Ah, I'd completely forgotten that I could do that. That'll help a lot, thanks!

That said, it'd still be cool if there were a way to have numpy warn
me of these things, so that I tell the difference between "I ran out
of memory because I did something stupid" and "I ran out of memory
because numpy was doubling things behind the scenes".

What would be *really* cool is if I could get error messages telling
me why something wanted to copy my array (e.g.
UncopyableException("This function requires Fortran-style arrays")) so
that I'd know what I'd need to do to my arrays if I wanted the
function to work, but I'm sure applying that to all of numpy would be
a gargantuan undertaking.

Thanks,
Dan Lepage