[Numpy-discussion] when numpy in Linux apt will be updated? It's still 1.3.0 with many bugs

Dmitrey tmp50 at ukr.net
Thu Mar 24 07:28:00 EDT 2011

          Isnt [K]Ubuntu updated each 6 month?

     2011/3/24 Dmitrey <

     tmp50 at ukr.net     >:
     > hi,
     > when numpy in Linux apt will be updated? It's still 1.3.0 with many bugs

     There will always be bugs, but numpy 1.3 is a stable release, unless
     there is a bug that affects what your doing right now?

     If you find a bug that prevents you from from your specific work,
     better report that bug,
     if you haven't already.

     > I tried to install numpy from PYPI where 1.5.1 seesm to be present, but
     > somehow it involves 1.3.0 instead:
     >
     > $ sudo easy_install numpy
     > install_dir /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/
     > Searching for numpy
     > Best match: numpy 1.3.0
     > Adding numpy 1.3.0 to easy-install.pth file
     >
     > only after aptitude remove python-numpy version 1.5.1. is involved by
     > easy_install, but it fails:
     >
     > $ sudo easy_install numpy
     > Adding numpy 1.5.1 to easy-install.pth file
     > Installing f2py script to /usr/local/bin
     >
     > Installed
     > /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy-1.5.1-py2.6-linux-x86_64.egg
     > Processing dependencies for numpy
     > Finished processing dependencies for numpy
     > /tmp/easy_install-QF6uJM/numpy-1.5.1/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py:251:
     > RuntimeWarning: Parent module 'numpy.distutils' not found while handling
     > absolute import

     I see an *absolute* import, maybe easy_install is different from where
     ubuntu expects numpy to be installed?

     i think the folder distutils is specific for ubuntu ?

     try and remove manually the egg
     in /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/numpy-1.5.1-py2.6-linux-x86_64.egg

     then do

     $ sudo easy_install -U numpy

     -U is for update, maybe you have to run without -U first?

     > Error in atexit._run_exitfuncs:
     > Traceback (most recent call last):
     >   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
     >     func(*targs, **kargs)
     >   File "/tmp/easy_install-QF6uJM/numpy-1.5.1/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py",
     > line 251, in clean_up_temporary_directory
     > ImportError: No module named numpy.distutils
     > Error in sys.exitfunc:
     > Traceback (most recent call last):
     >   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/atexit.py", line 24, in _run_exitfuncs
     >     func(*targs, **kargs)
     >   File "/tmp/easy_install-QF6uJM/numpy-1.5.1/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py",
     > line 251, in clean_up_temporary_directory
     > ImportError: No module named numpy.distutils
     >
     > I have Linux KUBUNTU 10.10
     >
     > D.

     Good question.. ?

     easy_install should be distribution non-specific(as far as i know)

     see also this thread, even though its old. (late 2009)
     http://old.nabble.com/numpy-1.3.0-eggs-with-python2.6-seem-broken-on-osx,-and-linux-td26551531.html
     so maybe then download only the egg(with easy_install), then enter the
     folder and do sudo python2.6 setup.py install
     Dont you have python 2.7 also on ubuntu?

     regards mic

   Thanks for all those instructions, however, personally I don't need
   them, I have sucseeded with my own manipulations and even if I
   wouldn't I always can build numpy/scipy from sources.
   I mere care for quality and easibility of numpy installation for
   ordinary non-skilled users. They may just try installation, see that
   it's buggy and move away to use another soft.

   D.