[Numpy-discussion] loadtxt/savetxt tickets

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 16:25:25 EDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Paul Anton Letnes <
paul.anton.letnes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Derek!
>
> On 26. mars 2011, at 15.48, Derek Homeier wrote:
>
> > Hi again,

> >> Seems the fastest solution unless someone wants to change
> >> numpy.squeeze
> >> as well. But the present patch does not call np.squeeze any more at
> >> all, so I
> >> propose to restore that behaviour for X.ndim > ndmin to remain really
> >> backwards
> >> compatible. It also seems easier to code when making the default
> >> ndmin=0.
> >
> > I've got another somewhat general question: since it would probably be
> > nice to
> > have a test for this, I found one could simply add something along the
> > lines of
> >
> > assert_equal(a.shape, x.shape)
> >
> > to test_io.py - test_shaped_dtype(self)
> > or should one generally create a new test for such things (might still
> > be better
> > in this case, since test_shaped_dtype does not really test different
> > ndim)?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >                                               Derek
>
> It would be nice to see your patch. I uploaded all of mine as mentioned.
> I'm no testing expert, but I am sure someone else will comment on it.

I put all these patches together at
https://github.com/charris/numpy/tree/loadtxt-savetxt. Please pull from
there to continue work on loadtxt/savetxt so as to avoid conflicts in the
patches. One of the numpy tests is failing, I assume from patch conflicts,
and more tests for the tickets are needed in any case. Also, new keywords
should be added to the end, not put in the middle of existing keywords.

I haven't reviewed the patches, just tried to get them organized. Also, I
have Derek as the author on all of them, that can be changed if it is
decided the credit should go elsewhere ;) Thanks for the work you all have
been doing on these tickets.

Chuck