[Numpy-discussion] 1.6.0b1 half float buffer bug?

Eli Stevens (Gmail) wickedgrey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 13:45:11 EDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Eli Stevens (Gmail)
<wickedgrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Mark Wiebe <mwwiebe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That said, I think starting a discussion with the Python core developers
>> about the float16 type is worthwhile. There might be interest in supporting
>> the float16 type in the struct interface, something that would be required
>> as part of amending PEP 3118.
>
> That's something that wouldn't see production until Python 3.3, right?
>  I'm imagining that the buffer spec in use wouldn't change during the
> 2.7.x series, unless it's unusually accepting of changes.

Actually, thinking about this more, if the PEP gets updated with a
backwards-compatible change, numpy could support the newer version,
even on older versions of Python that don't officially, right?

How quickly could something like the 'e' type be added to the PEP?

Eli