[Numpy-discussion] Old tickets

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Wed Mar 30 17:26:40 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> This followup on tickets that I had previously indicated. So I want to
> thank Mark, Ralph and any people for going over those!
>
> For those that I followed I generally agreed with the outcome.
>
> Ticket 301: 'Make power and divide return floats from int inputs (like
> true_divide)'
> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/ticket/301
> Invalid because the output dtype is the same as the input dtype unless
> you override using the dtype argument:
>  >>> np.power(3, 1, dtype=np.float128).dtype
> dtype('float128')
> Alternatively return a float and indicate in the docstring that the
> output dtype can be changed.

FWIW,

Just thought I'd note (on a python 2.6 system):

>>> import numpy as np
>>> a = np.array([1, 2, 3, 4])
>>> a.dtype
dtype('int32')
>>> 2 / a
array([2, 1, 0, 0])
>>> from __future__ import division
>>> 2 / a
array([ 2.        ,  1.        ,  0.66666667,  0.5       ])

So, numpy already does this when true division is imported (and therefore
consistent with whatever the python environment does), and python currently
also returns integers for exponentials when both inputs are integers.

Ben Root