[Numpy-discussion] ANN: Numpy 1.6.0 release candidate 2

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue May 3 19:52:16 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 18:45, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Ralf Gommers
> <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am pleased to announce the availability of the second release
>> candidate of NumPy 1.6.0.
>
> I get one failure when I run from ipython but not python. In ipython I
> import a few packages at startup. One of those packages must be
> changing the numpy error settings (would that explain it?).

Yes.

> Should
> that be a failure?

Yes, I believe it's important to test numpy's default settings (and
make sure that nothing else in numpy fudges with them). We have had
regressions in the past that went unnoticed for years. Rather, you
should not be running the test suite from an environment with a bunch
of other packages imported (I know, I know, the existence of np.test()
kind of implicitly encourages this, but still...).

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco