[Numpy-discussion] array order in numpy.dot

RadimRehurek RadimRehurek at seznam.cz
Thu May 19 15:10:34 EDT 2011

Hello,

what code paths does `numpy.dot(matrix, matrix)` take with regard to the order of the input matrices (c/fortran contiguous?).

In particular, under what conditions does it make a copy of the input matrices, and under which conditions does it set the gemm transposition flags internally? Does this change with different numpy versions, is there a contract re this behaviour?

My concern is 1) memory (matrices are large, cannot afford extra copies) and 2) performance.

Sorry if I missed this in the documentation. Cheers!
Radim