[Numpy-discussion] Broken numpy install

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat May 21 06:54:51 EDT 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Milan Mitrovic <milan.v.mitrovic at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a problem with my numpy installation. I installed numpy, scipy
> and matplotlib from source, about one year ago (the macports install
> wouldn't work for me). This worked fine untill I had some problems two
> days ago (as it later turned out, completely unrelated to numpy) but
> my thesis advisor suggested that I update numpy and scipy. Since then
> I've been trying to make it work (and haven't worked on my thesis at
> all).

The reason for this is that you recompiled numpy but not matplotlib. You can
either use numpy 1.6.0, which will work with the matplotlib you compiled
earlier. Or you have to recompile matplotlib against your current numpy (not
always easy on OS X). There are also up-to-date binary installers for
numpy/scipy/mpl you can use.

Ralf