[Numpy-discussion] Numpy question

Derek Homeier derek at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Thu May 26 11:13:54 EDT 2011

On 26 May 2011, at 11:17, Talla wrote:

> Below is the output of the coammands you mentioned.
>
> C:\>python
> Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Jul  7 2009, 20:21:09) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
> (Intel)] on win3
> [0 1 2]
> >>>

> Which looks to me it is working just fine.
>
> so what is the problem though?

Numpy is working with your Python2.6 and 2.7 installations, but as
Pauli pointed out,
the script you want to run instead is using instead a different and
very ancient Python library,
Numeric (which in its days occasionally was referred to as "NumPy",
too, just to add
confusion ;-).
This means you could either try to

- get Python2.4 to work on your machine and hope the Numeric binary
works with it

- compile Numeric from source for your Python2.6 or Python2.7
installation (it actually
   still builds with Python2.7), but this might be challenging for a
beginner

- try to modify your script to work with numpy instead. Numpy provides
all the functionality
   Numeric has ever offered afaik; its syntax is merely slightly
different in a few cases.
   You should find some helpful information here:

     http://www.scipy.org/Converting_from_Numeric

   (please note the caveats about the automatic converter!)
   It might even be enough to replace the line in the script
   File "AbinitBandStructureMaker.py", line 16, in <module>
     from Numeric import *
   with
     from numpy.oldnumeric import *

   ymmv - if you can contact the maintainer/original author of the
script, you might ask
   them for assistance - it does not make much sense to rely on a
software package that
   has not been maintained for half a decade, after all.

HTH,
							Derek