[Numpy-discussion] New functions.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:26:51 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Warren Weckesser <
warren.weckesser at enthought.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've been contemplating new functions that could be added to numpy and
>> thought I'd run them by folks to see if there is any interest.
>>
>> 1) Modified sort/argsort functions that return the maximum k values.
>>     This is easy to do with heapsort and almost as easy with mergesort.
>>

> While you're at, how about a function that finds both the max and min in
> one pass?  (Mentioned previously in this thread:
> http://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2010-June/051072.html)

What should it be called? minmax?

This also brings suggests a function that returns both mean and standard
deviation, something that could also be implemented using a more stable
algorithm than the current one.

> 2) Ufunc fadd (nanadd?) Treats nan as zero in addition. Should make a
>> faster version of nansum possible.
>>
>> 3) Fast medians.

Other suggestions are welcome. Most of these are of the low hanging fruit
variety and shouldn't be too much work.

Chuck