[Numpy-discussion] Rounding to next lowest float

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:43:01 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Colin J. Williams
<cjwilliams43 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are using integers, why not use Python's Long?

You mean, why do I need to know the next lowest representable integer
in a float type?

It's because I have a floating point array that I'm converting to
integers, and I'm trying to find the right threshold for clipping the
floating point array, to stop this happening:

In [84]: np.array([2**32], np.float).astype(np.int32)
Out[84]: array([-2147483648])

I need then to clip my floating point input array at some maximum
floating point value ``M``, such that in_type(M).astype(out_type) <=
X, where X is the maximum of the out_type.

Best,

Matthew