[Numpy-discussion] wanted: decent matplotlib alternative

John Hunter jdh2358 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 17:39:08 EDT 2011

On Oct 13, 2011, at 4:21 PM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus at yale.edu> wrote:

> I keep meaning to use matplotlib as well, but every time I try I also get really turned off by the matlabish interface in the examples. I get that it's a selling point for matlab refugees, but I find it counterintuitive in the same way Christoph seems to.
>
> I'm glad to hear the OO interface isn't as clunky as it looks on some of the doc pages, though. This is good news. Can anyone point out any good tutorials/docs on using matplotlib idiomatically via its OO interface?

I would start with these examples

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/api/index.html

These examples use pyplot only for figure generation, mostly because this is the easiest way to get a Figure instance correctly wired across user interface toolkits, but use the API for everything else.

And this tutorial, which explains the central object hierarchy:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/artists.html

For a deeper dive, these tutorials may be of interest too:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/transforms_tutorial.html

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/path_tutorial.html

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/event_handling.html