[Numpy-discussion] wanted: decent matplotlib alternative

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 18:03:49 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus at yale.edu>wrote:

> I keep meaning to use matplotlib as well, but every time I try I also get
> really turned off by the matlabish interface in the examples. I get that
> it's a selling point for matlab refugees, but I find it counterintuitive in
> the same way Christoph seems to.
>
> I'm glad to hear the OO interface isn't as clunky as it looks on some of
> the doc pages, though. This is good news. Can anyone point out any good
> tutorials/docs on using matplotlib idiomatically via its OO interface?
>
> Zach

I think, IPython is great for interaction with the OO interface of the
matlab.  Just starting simple with:

fig=plt.figure()
ax=plt.gca()
and keep tabbing ax.<tab>, fig.<tab> or any object you create on the canvas
.tab to get its methods and attributes. Another approach is start with the
pylab interface and query detailed help/code with ?? in IPython (e.g.
plt.xlabel??)

--
Gökhan