[Numpy-discussion] NA masks in the next numpy release?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 16:07:46 EDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 20:58, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I don't know about you, but watching the development from a distance
>>> it became increasingly clear to me that this would happen.  I"m sure
>>> you've had the experience as I have, of mixing several desirable
>>> changes into the same set of commits, and it's hard work to avoid
>>> this.  I imagine this is what happened with Mark's MA changes.
>>>
>>> The result is actually an extension of the problems of the original
>>> discussion, which is a feeling that we the community do not have a say
>>> in the development.
>>>
>>> I think this email might be a plea to the numpy steering group, and to
>>> Travis in particular, to see if we can use a discussion of this series
>>> of events to decide on a good way to proceed in future.
>>>

>> Oh come, people had plenty to say, you and Nathaniel in particular.  Mark
>> pointed to the pull request, anyone who was interested could comment on it,
>> Benjamin Root did so, for instance. The fact things didn't go the way you
>> wanted doesn't indicate insufficient discussion. And you are certainly
>> welcome to put together an alternative and put up a pull request.
>
> I was also guessing that something like this would be the reply to
> Nathaniel's post.

But it wasn't. It was a reply to your message.

> I think this reply is rude because it implies some sort of sour-grapes
> from Nathaniel, when he is politely referring back to an explicit
> reassurance from Travis.

What Travis assured did happen, just on the pull request (on which
everyone's input was requested and where most "should this be merged?"
discussions are *meant* to happen) rather than on the mailing list.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco