[Numpy-discussion] NA masks in the next numpy release?

Lluís xscript at gmx.net
Mon Oct 24 14:09:37 EDT 2011

Charles R Harris writes:
[...]
> It might useful to have a way of setting global defaults, or something like a
> with statement. These are the sort of things that can be adjusted based on
> experience. For instance, I'm thinking skipna=1 is the natural default for the
> masked arrays.

I already raised this concern during the initial discussions, and Mark came up
with nice solution.

Instead of having an additional stateful global interface that code would have
to check in addition to the "skipna" argument, you can have a simple function
that takes and/or constructs an ndarray and redefines its ufunc wrapper to
always set the "skipna = True" argument.

Lluis

 Tollbooth