[Numpy-discussion] consensus (was: NA masks in the next numpy release?)

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 17:32:20 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com> wrote:
>> I think Nathaniel and Matthew provided very
>> specific feedback that was helpful in understanding other perspectives of a
>> difficult problem.     In particular, I really wanted bit-patterns
>> implemented.    However, I also understand that Mark did quite a bit of work
>> and altered his original designs quite a bit in response to community
>> feedback.   I wasn't a major part of the pull request discussion, nor did I
>> merge the changes, but I support Charles if he reviewed the code and felt
>> like it was the right thing to do.  I likely would have done the same thing
>> rather than let Mark Wiebe's work languish.
>
> My connectivity is spotty this week, so I'll stay out of the technical
> discussion for now, but I want to share a story.
>
> Maybe a year ago now, Jonathan Taylor and I were debating what the
> best API for describing statistical models would be -- whether we
> wanted something like R's "formulas" (which I supported), or another
> approach based on sympy (his idea). To summarize, I thought his API
> was confusing, pointlessly complicated, and didn't actually solve the
> problem; he thought R-style formulas were superficially simpler but
> hopelessly confused and inconsistent underneath. Now, obviously, I was
> right and he was wrong. Well, obvious to me, anyway... ;-) But it
> wasn't like I could just wave a wand and make his arguments go away,
> no matter how annoying and wrong-headed I thought they were... I could
> write all the code I wanted but no-one would use it unless I could
> convince them it's actually the right solution, so I had to engage
> with him, and dig deep into his arguments.
>
> What I discovered was that (as I thought) R-style formulas *do* have a
> solid theoretical basis -- but (as he thought) all the existing
> implementations *are* broken and inconsistent! I'm still not sure I
> can actually convince Jonathan to go my way, but, because of his
> stubbornness, I had to invent a better way of handling these formulas,
> and so my library[1] is actually the first implementation of these
> things that has a rigorous theory behind it, and in the process it
> avoids two fundamental, decades-old bugs in R. (And I'm not sure the R
> folks can fix either of them at this point without breaking a ton of
> code, since they both have API consequences.)
>
> --
>
> It's extremely common for healthy FOSS projects to insist on consensus
> for almost all decisions, where consensus means something like "every
> interested party has a veto"[2]. This seems counterintuitive, because
> if everyone's vetoing all the time, how does anything get done? The
> trick is that if anyone *can* veto, then vetoes turn out to actually
> be very rare. Everyone knows that they can't just ignore alternative
> points of view -- they have to engage with them if they want to get
> anything done. So you get buy-in on features early, and no vetoes are
> [...]

Nice post - thank you.

I agree that we may have a problem with - process.  I mean, maybe
there is not much agreement on what the process for these kinds of
discussions should be - and therefore - we can't point to some
constitution or similar to say - hey - wait - we're not doing it
right.

It seems to me - from my technical reply to Travis - that it would be
reasonable to keep Mark's implementation of masked arrays, but with
some minor modifications to keep IGNORED (implemented) separable
conceptually from ABSENT (not implemented).   Maybe the discussion
could be about those modifications?  Specifically, where do you feel
the points of disagreement are, after the masking idea has become
clearly an implementation of IGNORED?
I guess you also don't much care if the IGNORED default behavior is
PROPAGATE or SKIP.

I had thought about what would happen to numpy.ma - and I would really
like to know what Pierre would need for this implementation to allow
him to replace numpy.ma.

See you,

Matthew