[Numpy-discussion] consensus (was: NA masks in the next numpy release?)

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Sat Oct 29 15:41:04 EDT 2011

On Saturday, October 29, 2011, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Who is counted in building a consensus? I tend to pay attention to those
who have made consistent contributions over the years, reviewed code, fixed
bugs, and have generally been active in numpy development. In any group
participation is important, people who just walk in the door and demand
things be done their way aren't going to get a lot of respect. I'll happily
listen to politely expressed feedback, especially if the feedback comes from
someone who shows up to work, but that hasn't been my impression of the
disagreements in this case. Heck, Nathaniel wasn't even tracking the Numpy
pull requests or Mark's repository. That doesn't spell "participant" in my
dictionary.

> Chuck

This is a very good point, but I would highly caution against alienating
anybody here.  Frankly, I am surprised how much my opinion has been taken
here given the very little numpy code I have submitted (I think maybe two or
three patches).  The Numpy community is far more than just those who use the
core library. There is pandas, bottleneck, mpl, the scikits, and much more.
 Numpy would be nearly useless without them, and certainly vice versa.

We are all indebted to each other for our works. We must never lose that
perspective.

We all seem to have a different set of assumptions of how development should
work.  Each project follows its own workflow.  Numpy should be free to adopt
their own procedures, and we are free to discuss them.

I do agree with chuck that he shouldn't have to make a written invitation to
each and every person to review each pull.  However, maybe some work can be
done to bring the pull request and issues discussion down to the mailing
list. I would like to do something similar with mpl.

As for voting rights, let's make that a separate discussion.

Ben Root