[Numpy-discussion] consensus (was: NA masks in the next numpy release?)

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:10:21 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Olivier Delalleau <shish at keba.be> wrote:

> 2011/10/29 Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>
>

>> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> matthew.brett at gmail.com>

>>> matthew.brett at gmail.com>

>>> Nathaniel was
>>> before

>>> Therefore
>>> made

>>> can

>>> out
>>> this
>>> implement -

>>> people
>>> Maybe
>>> comprehend
>>> statement.

>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/46544/match=ignored

>>> and
>>> modify
>>> discussion.

>>> Oops - 10 minute rule.  Now I see that you mean that you can't
>>> experiment with the alternative implementation without working code.
>>>

>> Indeed.
>>

>>> That's true, but I am hoping that the difference between - say:
>>>
>>> a[0:2] = np.NA
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> a.mask[0:2] = False
>>>
>>> would be easy enough to imagine.
>>

>> It is in this case. I agree the explicit ``a.mask`` is clearer. This is a
>> quite specific point that could be improved in the current implementation.
>> It doesn't require ripping everything out.
>>
>> Ralf
>>

> I haven't been following the discussion closely, but wouldn't it be
> instead:
> a.mask[0:2] = True?
>
> It's something that I actually find a bit difficult to get right in the
> current numpy.ma implementation: I would find more intuitive to have True
> for "valid" data, and False for invalid / missing / ... I realize how the
> implementation makes sense (and is appropriate given that the name is
> "mask"), but I just thought I'd point this out... even if it's just me ;)

Well, there is the problem of replacing an unknown value by a known value,
and then you would have to clear the mask also. However, I do appreciate
this sort of feedback from actual use. We need more in order to see what are
real sticking points and to separate the usual frustrations of learning new
stuff from the more serious problem of inadequate API. If enough people
start giving feedback we might want to set up some way to track it.

Chuck