[Numpy-discussion] consensus (was: NA masks in the next numpy release?)

Eric Firing efiring at hawaii.edu
Sat Oct 29 18:47:30 EDT 2011

On 10/29/2011 12:02 PM, Olivier Delalleau wrote:

> I haven't been following the discussion closely, but wouldn't it be instead:
> a.mask[0:2] = True?

That would be consistent with numpy.ma and the opposite of Mark's
implementation.

I can live with either, but I much prefer the numpy.ma version because
it fits with the use of bit-flags for editing data; set bit 1 if it
fails check A, set bit 2 if it fails check B, etc.  So, if it evaluates
as True, there is a problem, and the value is masked *out*.

Similarly, in Marks implementation, 7 bits are available for a payload
to describe what kind of masking is meant.  This seems more consistent
with True as masked (or NA) than with False as masked.

Eric