[Numpy-discussion] consensus (was: NA masks in the next numpy release?)

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Sat Oct 29 19:24:11 EDT 2011

On Saturday, October 29, 2011, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> You are repeating the loaded phrase 'ripping the current code out' and
> thus making the discussion less sensible and more hostile.
>
>>  It isn't like it is (known
>> to be) buggy, nor has anyone made the case that it isn't a basis on which
>> build other options. It also smacks of gratuitous violence committed by
>> someone yet to make a positive contribution to the project.
>
> This is cheap, rude, and silly.  All I can see from Nathaniel is a
> reasonable, fair attempt to discuss the code.  He proposed backing off
> the code in good faith.   You are emphatically, and, in my view
> childishly, ignoring the substantial points he is making, and
> asserting over and over that he deserves no hearing because he has not
> contributed code.   This is a terribly destructive way to work.  If I
> was a new developer reading this, I would conclude, that I had better
> be damn careful which side I'm on, before I express my opinion,
> otherwise I'm going to be made to feel like I don't exist by the other
> people on the project.  That is miserable, it is silly, and it's the
> wrong way to do business.
>
> Best,
>
> Matthew

/me blows whistle. Personal foul against defense! Personal foul against
offense! Penalties offset! Repeat first down.

10 minute rule, please.

Ben Root

P.S. - as a bit of evidence against the idea that chuck doesnt consider
opinions from non-contributors, I haven't felt ignored during this whole
discussion, yet I don't think that anyone had an expectation of me to
produce code.  However, to have an expectation to produce code for
counter-proposals might be a bit unfair because the ones offering counter
proposal may not have the resources available, like we did with mark.