[Numpy-discussion] Is distributing GPL + exception dll in the windows installer ok

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 07:34:38 EDT 2011

Hi,

While testing the mingw gcc 3.x -> 4.x migration, I realized that some
technical requirements in gcc 4.x have potential license implications.
In short, it is more difficult now than before to statically link
gcc-related runtimes into numpy/scipy. I think using the DLL is safer
and better, but it means the windows installers will contain GPL code.
My understanding is that this is OK because the code in question is
GPL + exception, meaning the usual GPL requirements only apply to
those runtimes, and that's ok ?

cheers,

David