[Numpy-discussion] NumPy nogil API

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Mon Oct 31 06:03:46 EDT 2011

Mark: I'm just wondering what you wanted to do with NumPy from Cython -- a stopgap solution for SIMD, iterator support, or something else?

SIMD using NumPy really isn't the best idea long-term because of all the temporaries needed in compound expressions, which is really bad on the memory bus for anything but tiny arrays. For that I'd rather look at finding a nogil core of numexpr or similar.

Of course, there is a number of convenient NumPy utility functions which would be cool to have in nogil mode... But given that the GIL is a problem in so many cases, I wonder how far it is really possible to go even given the refactored numpy core.

Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

31.10.2011 09:44, mark florisson kirjoitti: [clip] > Ah, that's too bad. Is it anywhere near ready, or was it abandoned for > ironclad? Could you point me to the code? It's quite ready and working, and as far as I understand, Enthought is shipping it. I haven't used it, though. The code is here: https://github.com/numpy/numpy-refactor 	Pauli_____________________________________________