[Numpy-discussion] Pull Request Review: R-like sample function

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Sep 2 13:58:08 EDT 2011

I think you mean https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/151

> I changed the new function's name from sample to choice and added the
> size=1 default as Robert suggested. I also reverted all the changes
> for sample, random, and ranf and added them to the reference docs.

I still think the default should be sampling without replacement, so
as to reduce confusion later when we make this available as
np.random.sample.

You should also deprecate the current 'sample' alias (I believe this
is basically a matter of documenting that it is deprecated, and making
sure that it fires a deprecation warning when used). But perhaps you
want to do that in a separate pull request, I dunno.

-- Nathaniel