[Numpy-discussion] OS X Lion: llvm: numpy and scipy

Samuel John scipy at samueljohn.de
Mon Sep 19 09:03:41 EDT 2011

Ahoy numpy gurus :-)

Would it be possible to adapt the setup.py and/or numpy/distutils to set the right variables on Mac OS X 10.7? (see below).
I have looked a bit into the setup.py and the distutils package of numpy but I am a bit lost.

Do you think it's possible to teach numpy to use different CC, CXX? And the FFLAGS and the switch --fcompiler=gnu95 arg?

Building scipy on OS X Lion 10.7.x currently fails because of some llvm incompatibilies and the gfortran.
While it's easy to get gfortran e.g. via http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/ it's hard to `pip install scipy` or manual install because you have to:

> export CC=gcc-4.2
> export CXX=g++-4.2
> export FFLAGS=-ff2c
> python setup.py build --fcompiler=gnu95

This way, numpy and then scipy builds successfully.
Scipy uses the distutil settings from numpy -- as far as I get it -- and therefore scipy cannot add these variables. Right?

It would be great if numpy and scipy would build right out-of-the-box on OS X, again.

I'd love to provide a patch but I am lost in the depth of distutils...

Samuel